What are you?

Writers write :: Pick a first line and write for 10 minutes :: Don't stop. Don't edit. Don't judge. :: Write.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Daily First Line -- 4/3/12


Years ago, my friend Lisa P. introduced me to this 10-minute writing exercise.  The exercises had been around forever in various forms, but she was the first to show me this variation, where someone else gives you the first line of your story.

It was love at first First Line.  For quite a while, we exchanged First Lines back and forth.  Then, of course, the mundanities of life took over and our exercises faded to the background.  We still write together occasionally, but not nearly often enough.

I'm hoping to get her to contribute to this blog (Lisa, are you reading this??) -- as soon as we can find time in our schedules to sit down in the same room together!

In the meantime, here's one of the First Lines she gave me.  I'm reusing it today, because later I'll post the result of my ten minutes of typing.

Today's first line isn't a full sentence.  Do what you want with it, as long as all the words appear in your first sentence.  There are no rules.  (....well, other than the rule that you write nonstop for ten minutes).

And yes, "mundanities" is not a real word. Or, rather, it wasn't a real word until now.  I just made it up.  Feel free to make up words if the perfect one to express your thought doesn't exist yet.

Ready?  Set your timer, click the Read More button, and write!

Love,
Lisa

^^^^^^^^^^^

First Line:  the dishes



2 comments:

  1. of course I am reading it! and yes writing in the same room even once a month would be a pleasure! (trying to find a good class/group to keep me motivated!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog will keep you motivated!! :D

    ReplyDelete