What are you?

Writers write :: Pick a first line and write for 10 minutes :: Don't stop. Don't edit. Don't judge. :: Write.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Cool Desktop Timer


What kind of timer do you use when writing for ten minutes?

I think it's best to use a timer which has a buzzer or ringer or something in-your-face which lets you know when ten minutes have elapsed.  Avoid just glancing at a clock -- it distracts you, and it's very easy to lose track of time.

When I first started doing these 10-minute exercises years ago, I found a timer online to download.  It met two of my most important criteria:  it was free and it was fun.

Appropriately, it's called Cool Timer.  I like it because when the timer goes off, the screen comes to the foreground on your monitor and flashes until you turn it off.  You have no choice but to stop typing!  Plus, you can customize the colors and sounds and size.

Eventually, I placed the timer to the right of my Word window as I typed, so I could see the seconds ticking away in my peripheral vision.  When I got more advanced in the exercises, I wanted to give my exercises a structure.  Beginning-middle-end.  When the timer hit 5 minutes I knew I needed a midpoint, and when it hit 9 minutes, I knew I had to wrap things up.

But don't give yourself that added challenge if it freaks you out.  I just happen to like restrictions -- they make me more creative.  I need envelopes to push against.  Remember, the whole point of these exercises is to relax, free your creativity, and turn off your inner critic.  Use your timer in the way which facilitates that!

Let me know what other desktop times you like out there.

Love,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment